Listen to RFI News
Expand Player
Listen Download Podcast
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/19 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/18 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/17 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/05 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/04 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/03 13h00 GMT
To take full advantage of multimedia content, you must have the Flash plugin installed in your browser. To connect, you need to enable cookies in your browser settings. For an optimal navigation, the RFI site is compatible with the following browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and above, Firefox 10 and +, Safari 3+, Chrome 17 and + etc.

Toulouse killer Merah's father sues French police

media Lawyers Isabelle Coutant-Peyre and Zahia Mokhtari on the steps of the Paris … Reuters/Julien Muguet

The father of Toulouse killer Mohammad Merah is suing the French police for killing his son. Mohamed Benalel Merah alleges that the elite French police team, Raid, was given orders by the head of the national police force to kill the self-confessed murderer.

Merah senior’s lawyer, Zahia Mokthari, claims that he and his client have proof of the accusation.

Isabelle Coutant-Peyre, who is assisting Mokhtari, noted that at the time of the stand-off, there were about 300 to 400 armed people surrounding Merah’s apartment.

Parliamentary elections 2012

“That alone is enough raises questions,” she said Tuesday.

Videos released in early April and probably taken by Merah on his iPhone were sent to his father during the stand-off. These images will be handed over to authorities when the investigation begins.

Raid chief Amaury de Hauteclocque told the AFP news agency that his men went out of their way to give Merah a chance and that it was the Toulouse killer himself who had sparked off the assault.

In mid-March Mohamad Merah shot dead seven people, three French paratroopers, three children and a Jewish teacher.

Surrounded by police on the early hours of 21 March, Merah ended negotiations with police, claiming he was a mujahedeen and wanted to die with his weapons in hand, said Hauteclocque.

He was killed by Raid on 22 March after a 32-hour standoff.


Sorry but the period of time connection to the operation is exceeded.