The deadliest fire in Bangladesh’s 39-year old history raged for three hours late Thursday, destroying a row of multi-storey apartment buildings.
Whitness Younus Haoladar, aged 38, said the fire had spread through a series of explosions, triggered by the chemicals and other flammable materials in the small shops located in the burning buildings.
The Dhaka Medical College Hospital director, Shamanto Lal Sen, said they had now tried to transfer stable patients elsewhere and focus on treating 50 critical cases.
Although Dhaka’s fire department said the fire was caused by an electrical fault,
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who was scheduled to visit the injured on Friday, announced a full investigation into the blaze.