World Tracks music chart April May 2011
RFI maintains a proud tradition of monitoring what is best in the world of music with a monthly look at the top album releases making ripples in the industry. Updated at the end of each month, it has links to the artists' websites or information that provides listeners with the background to the albums.
This month, top position goes to veterans from Benin who are dubbed Africa ’s Buenavista Social Club. This pulsating music is closely followed by an African trio who release a riveting live concert revealing the vast experience they have acquired down the years. In third, a Peruvian diva who reminds us of the deep African roots that have touched Latin American music for centuries.
- Cotonou Club, Le Tout-Puissant Orchestre Poly-rythmo (Universal Music), Benin.
- Acoustic Africa in Concert, Habib Koité, Afel Bocoum and Oliver Mtukudzi, (Contre Jour), various.
- Afrodiaspora, Susana Baca (Luaka Bop), Peru.
- Songs of Happiness, Poison & Ululation, Western Jazz Band (Sterns Music), Tanzania.
- The Imam Baildi Cookbook, Imam Baildi (EMI), Greece.
- Courage, Mamadou Diabate (World Village), Mali.
- Emosion Bèlè, Edmond Mondésir (Awi Music), Martinique.
- Perpetual Motion, Amine & Hamza (Network), Tunisia.
- Massive Underground, La Kinky Beat, (Kasba Music), Spain.
- Sétimo Fado, Joana Amendoeira (Le Chant du Monde), Portugal.