Listen to RFI News
Expand Player
 
Listen Download Podcast
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/19 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/18 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/17 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/05 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/04 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/03 13h00 GMT
To take full advantage of multimedia content, you must have the Flash plugin installed in your browser. To connect, you need to enable cookies in your browser settings. For an optimal navigation, the RFI site is compatible with the following browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and above, Firefox 10 and +, Safari 3+, Chrome 17 and + etc.
France

French police have video of Toulouse gunman Merah's killings

media Mohamed Merah from a video on France 2 Mohamed Merah. Reuters/France 2 Television

French police say they have a video shot by Mohamed Merah, the 23-year-old who was gunned down by police following attacks that killed seven people near the southern city of Toulouse. The video is said to be a montage of various killings set to music and readings from the Koran.

 

It was sent to the Paris office of the pan-Arabic satellite network TV station Al-Jazeera. The station says it is considering whether or not to broadcast the video.

President Nicolas Sarkozy said the videos should not be shown "under any pretext", as the family of Jonathan Sandler, a Jewish teacher killed with his two sons in the attacks, said it would take legal action to prevent their broadcast.

Merah had previously boasted of filming his killings and witnesses had told police that he appeared to be wearing a video camera in a chest harness.

Meanwhile, the gunman’s father said he planned to sue French authorities over the killing of his son.

“France is a big country that had the means to take my son alive,” Mohamed Benalel Merah said. “I will hire the biggest named lawyers and work for the rest of my life to pay their costs.”

French foreign minister Alain Juppé sharply criticized the move telling Radio Classique “if I were the father of such a monster, I would shut my mouth in shame.”

On Monday, Sarkozy said French security services would launch a hunt for Islamic extremists following the killing spree. He said the interior and justice ministers have been ordered to engage in a systematic evaluation of potential threats.

 

Related
 
Sorry but the period of time connection to the operation is exceeded.