Listen to RFI News
Expand Player
 
Listen Download Podcast
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/20 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/19 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/18 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/05 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/04 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/03 13h00 GMT
To take full advantage of multimedia content, you must have the Flash plugin installed in your browser. To connect, you need to enable cookies in your browser settings. For an optimal navigation, the RFI site is compatible with the following browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and above, Firefox 10 and +, Safari 3+, Chrome 17 and + etc.
France

Future of horsemeat scandal company hangs in the balance

media The Spanghero meat processing firm is up for sale. Reuters/Jean-Philippe Arles

The administrators of Spanghero, the French meat processor at the heart of the recent horsemeat scandal in Europe, will announce on Friday whether a buyer has been found for the struggling firm.

In February, the company in Castelnaudary in south-west France was accused of knowingly selling horsemeat as beef.

The meat was then sold to French firm Comigel, which produced nearly five million frozen ready meals for 28 different firms in 13 European countries.

Many of Spanghero’s clients ditched the supplier after the scandal broke, causing the factory to lose 200,000 euros a week, according to union officials.

Spanghero’s owner, the Basque cooperative Lur Berri, put the factory up for sale in April.

Marie Favié, a representative for the CFE-CGC union, said eight expressions of interests have so far been filed to the administrator, but this does not necessarily mean that there is a concrete buy-out plan on offer.

240 jobs at the factory are at risk.

Favié said a plan detailing job cuts will be unveiled on May 28.

Related
 
Sorry but the period of time connection to the operation is exceeded.