Listen to RFI News
Expand Player
 
Listen Download Podcast
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/17 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/16 13h00 GMT
  • Paris Live PM 1300 - 1400 GMT
    News bulletin 09/13 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/05 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/04 13h00 GMT
  • 13h00 - 14h00 GMT
    News bulletin 04/03 13h00 GMT
To take full advantage of multimedia content, you must have the Flash plugin installed in your browser. To connect, you need to enable cookies in your browser settings. For an optimal navigation, the RFI site is compatible with the following browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and above, Firefox 10 and +, Safari 3+, Chrome 17 and + etc.
France

Pro-Palestinian protest gets go-ahead in Paris

media Pro-Gaza protesters burn an Israeli flag during weekend protests in Paris. … RFI

Following two violent pro-Palestinian protests in Paris last week, the French government has allowed a similar rally to take place on Wednesday.

The French government has authorized a pro-Palestinian protest to take place in Paris on Wednesday, following negotiations between the government and organizers.

At a press conference held at the premises of the League of Human Rights in Paris on Tuesday, Tawfiq Tahani, the president of the Association for France Palestine Solidarity said the planned protest will be done in collaboration with the national trade union CGT, the far-left NPA party, the Left Party and the French Communist Party PCF. 

A banned demonstration in the northern suburb of Sarcelles on Sunday turned violent with Jewish shops being looted, and police firing teargas at protesters. A similar situation took place on Saturday at a banned pro-Palestinian rally at Barbès-Rochechouart in Paris.

Tahani said that they have "organized more than 250 events throughout France" and said that "where there was chaos, it was those (protests) that were prohibited."

The French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has defended the go-ahead for Wednesday, saying that the parameters of the protest were discussed with the organizers, who pledged to be "more responsible this time."

Eric Coquerel, the national secretary of the Left Party has praised the government's decision. He said that with approximately 80 organizations taking part and with a police presence he does not foresee any trouble.

But the Mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi said it was "unacceptable" that the government has now authorized a Pro-Palestinian protest after what has happened in Sarcelles, and without taking measures to prosecute those who shouted "Deaths to Jews" and attempted to set fire to a synagogue.

The rally is scheduled to take place at 18:30 on Wednesday from Place Denfert-Rochereau to the Invalides in Paris.

Related
 
Sorry but the period of time connection to the operation is exceeded.