Joe Allen was the hero for the home team as he struck a volley into the net to deny Arsenal a win and a two-point lead in the championship.
Arsenal are now level on points with Leicester City who won 1-0 against Tottenham Hotspur. Manchester City are three points behind in third place after drawing 0-0 at home to Everton.
The Liverpool-Arsenal encounter began on a frantic note as the hosts struck in the 10th minute through a goal by Roberto Firmino. Arsenal though equalised in only four minutes as Aaron Ramsey scored from a through-ball by Joel Campbell.
Just five minutes later Firmino again scored to restore the hosts' lead. Liverpool couldn’t hold on to their lead for long, as Olivier Giroud equalised in the 25th minute.
The French striker scored his second in the 55th minute to help Arsenal take a 3-2 lead. Just when it looked that Arsenal had sealed a memorable win, Allen scored a dramatic late equaliser.
- West Bromwich Albion held Chelsea to a 2-2 draw while Sunderland beat Swansea City 4-2 thanks to a hat trick by Jermain Defoe;
- Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said he was frustrated with the result while Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said his team needs to work on its defence;
- Here in France, former champions Marseille were knocked out of the French League Cup by Toulouse in the quarter-finals;
- Toulouse won the tie 2-1 in extra time to join Paris St Germain, Bordeaux and Lille in the semi-finals;
- Lille beat Guingamp 4-2 on penalties, PSG beat Lyon 2-1 while Bordeaux triumphed 2-0 over Lorient.